chicago views

19.11.11

So, what to do in between your son’s soccer game and soccer tournament practice? You finish up the post that’s been sitting in your drafts folder for days. While the little guy takes a nap, I’m going to catch up on this here blog. Otherwise, I’ll be blogging about Christmas in February. As I mentioned in my last post, I was in Chicago managing a beauty event for Mary Kay. What I did not mention (because I was saving it for this post) is that everyone was getting glammed up for the LATISM (Latinos in Social Media) awards dinner. There were lots of fun makeup discussions as the mimosas went around the vice presidential suite at The InterContinental. And the view of the city was spectacular, by the way. Chicago weather didn’t disappoint either. It was sunny, then it snowed, then it was sunny, then it snowed again. By the end of the evening, the nominees were dolled up and ready for the night ahead. Ana and I, well, we were left with 30 minutes to get ready. Even though she was up for two awards – LBC and SpanglishBaby - we were there to work. But in just a short half hour, she managed to pull it all off crediting her years as a producer, and went home with the award for Best Latin@ Social Network Leader. Needless to say, it was a memorable and inspirational trip indeed. I am so happy that I’m part of the LBC team. Through this journey, I’ve met some of the most amazing, talented, intelligent and ambitious women, who all share an interest and passion for using social media for social good. They’re bringing forth important topics and discussions in education, health, politics and parenting – just to name a few. It makes absolute sense that Mary Kay – a company founded on the principal that women can experience success on their own terms – be there to join in the celebration.

18 comments

1 Ana Flores| 11.20.11 at 3:30 pm |

This post made me feel all warm and fuzzy on this cold and rainy LA day. Thank you!
We did somehow pull it all off in 30 min and with aching feet to boot!

Can’t thank you enough for being part of the LBC team and adding glam to it!!

2 Julie Diaz Asper| 11.21.11 at 2:52 pm |

You all looked very glam like you spent hours versus 30 mins of getting ready! Everyone was so happy to arrive to the awards looking good so what a great event! It was great to meet you IRL!

3 Carol| 11.21.11 at 4:52 pm |

Wow. Beautiful photos!!! Thank you for sharing : )

4 Sujeiry| 11.21.11 at 5:05 pm |

Love your ring. Love Chicago sights. Love the Marylin photo. Love LBC!

I guess that’s love all around :-)

5 Monica| 11.21.11 at 8:08 pm |

Aargh! I was so bummed that I missed out on this! But your shots are beautiful as always…

6 Rachel| 11.21.11 at 8:19 pm |

That ring (and hand) actually belongs to Flor de Maria (FlordeMariaFashion.com)

7 Maura| 11.21.11 at 10:39 pm |

Rachel, I’ve got tears in my eyes looking at your photos. They’re so beautiful and it’s so nice to see someone else sees my city the way I do! It was so much fun spending time with you while you were visiting for the conference and I loved the Mary Kay suite. I was so inspired by my blog hermanas, spending time with all of you. I want to see more, more, more! (Also, I cannot tell you how many people have complimented me on my eyelashes since I started wearing the Mary Kay Lash Love from my goodie bag!) ;) Thanks!

8 Leslie @ Motherhood in Mexico| 11.21.11 at 11:46 pm |

I can’t decide which photograph I like more. They’re all so beautiful.

9 vianney| 11.22.11 at 12:50 am |

The shots of the city are magical!! Thanks you for sharing your trip with us, I cannot wait to attend Latism next year!!

10 Justice Jonesie| 11.22.11 at 8:14 am |

So true, Chicago weather did not disappoint and it’s best to blog between naps and games! Im the same way, have many half written posts, I need to get it moving!

11 Lisa Quinones-Fontanez| 11.22.11 at 8:22 am |

I love your photos – I feel like you’ve captured not only the moment but the city!

12 Carrie at TikiTikiBlog!| 11.22.11 at 8:35 am |

Love, love, love this!
Your photos are basically Tasty!
I want to fall into them…and it was a pleasure to meet you in person!

13 Rachel| 11.22.11 at 9:44 pm |

Great panel!

14 Viviana Hurtado/The Wise Latina Club| 11.25.11 at 9:15 pm |

¡Love me some Rachel Mátos! Ditto what @Maura said. What impressed me about the Mary Kay Glam Vice Presidential Suite at the Inter–more than the equally sharp and gorgeous blogueras, more than the luxurious Mary Kay products and makeover that made my inner confidence and smarts glow brighter, was the warm and genuine hospitality in the room. Nice to have some respite before a long day–and night–of networking!

15 Chantilly Patiño (@biculturalmom)| 11.26.11 at 3:07 pm |

Beautiful photos Rachel! I love stopping by here for inspiration and how cute that Ana was in one of your ultra glam photos too! :) Looks like you both had a great time!

16 Bren @ Flanboyant Eats™| 11.27.11 at 4:14 pm |

Girl! you make me want to visit Chicago by looking at just a few pictures! I haven’t been in over 10 years and even then I was only there for a quick law school visit. Stunning view. I love the lipstick shot, naturally, but the bed is so inviting!

17 Peruvian recipes| 11.30.11 at 10:05 am |

Those pictures are so cool and pretty! I agree with Bren, then make me want to visit Chicago too. Thanks for the virtual tour :)

18 Liza Sanchez| 12.02.11 at 10:03 am |

I’ve never been to Chicago. Your photos are a quick sell! Love the Marilyn statue most of course :)